May 8, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Trump Front

On April 29, the White House Correspondents dinner took place in Washington D.C — an annual staple in the diet of the American political media. Beginning in 1921, the President and Vice-President traditionally attend the event, an evening to celebrate the relationship between the White House Press Corps and the Presidential Administration, resting upon the ideals of freedom of speech and democracy. Sooo… you reckon Don-Don went?

You bet he didn’t! “Freedom of speech” and “democracy” don’t exactly seem to be among Donny’s priorities. Trumpster is now the first President to fail to attend this event since old boi Ronald Reagan declined the elusive invite in 1981, purely because he was recovering from an ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT 20 days earlier. So, Don was a no-show, no surprises there, especially as his relationship with the media has been, shall we say, on the rocks, since the beginning of the 45th administration.

But if the Prez wasn’t in D.C., where was he? What was his well-timed “excuse” for not attending? Did he have the flu? Was he heading to the Mexican border to get a start on that big wall of his? Was he off getting his weekly spray tan?  

No. Instead, Donny has really taken the phrase “early bird catches the worm” to heart, and began his campaign for the 2020 election with a rally in Pennsylvania. Speaking to the crowd, Trump-o said that the dinner would be “very, very boring” and couldn’t be more pleased to be “[…] more than 100 miles away from Washington’s swamp.”

Donald. Mate. If you couldn’t wait to escape Washington, then why, why. Did. You. Run. For. Office. Because, in case you hadn’t noticed ol’ pal, the White House, where you now live, is in fact in Washington.

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives