May 8, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Trump Front

On April 29, the White House Correspondents dinner took place in Washington D.C — an annual staple in the diet of the American political media. Beginning in 1921, the President and Vice-President traditionally attend the event, an evening to celebrate the relationship between the White House Press Corps and the Presidential Administration, resting upon the ideals of freedom of speech and democracy. Sooo… you reckon Don-Don went?

You bet he didn’t! “Freedom of speech” and “democracy” don’t exactly seem to be among Donny’s priorities. Trumpster is now the first President to fail to attend this event since old boi Ronald Reagan declined the elusive invite in 1981, purely because he was recovering from an ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT 20 days earlier. So, Don was a no-show, no surprises there, especially as his relationship with the media has been, shall we say, on the rocks, since the beginning of the 45th administration.

But if the Prez wasn’t in D.C., where was he? What was his well-timed “excuse” for not attending? Did he have the flu? Was he heading to the Mexican border to get a start on that big wall of his? Was he off getting his weekly spray tan?  

No. Instead, Donny has really taken the phrase “early bird catches the worm” to heart, and began his campaign for the 2020 election with a rally in Pennsylvania. Speaking to the crowd, Trump-o said that the dinner would be “very, very boring” and couldn’t be more pleased to be “[…] more than 100 miles away from Washington’s swamp.”

Donald. Mate. If you couldn’t wait to escape Washington, then why, why. Did. You. Run. For. Office. Because, in case you hadn’t noticed ol’ pal, the White House, where you now live, is in fact in Washington.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos