Update: VUW Faculty of Health

VUW’s Faculty of Health, which was established on January 1, has moved a step closer to providing courses for trimester one of 2018.

The proposed courses include a Bachelor of Health, a Graduate Certificate of Health, and a Graduate Diploma of Health.

They were approved in an Academic Board Meeting on April 11, but are still subject to secondary approval by the Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP) on July 13.

Prospective students will have a choice of five majors: Population Health, Policy, and Service Delivery; Health Promotion; Health Informatics; Health Software Development; and Health Psychology.

There is the future intention to include postgraduate programs, but they will be subject to a later CUAP proposal in 2018.

The Dean of the faculty, Gregory Coster, was unable to comment on the specific academic roles that will be included as part of the proposal.

However, effective May 1, the Graduate School of Nursing, Midwifery, and Health and the Health Services Research Centre, which was previously part of the School of Government, are part of the Faculty of Health.

According to the VUW staff directory, the Graduate School of Nursing, Midwifery, and Health has 15 academic staff and three professional staff.

Coster was able to comment on the orientation of the proposed courses, stating “we will be able to influence health service delivery and health policy and health management in the New Zealand context, and we have that opportunity because of the fact we are located in the capital city.”

“We need a health workforce that is appropriately trained to work in hospitals and communities to improve health care, but more than that we need better health policies, better health service, and better access for children and for aged cared.”