May 22, 2017 | by  | in VicUFO |

VIC UFO

CW: sexual harassment, sexual assault

I have been scared for most of my life. I am scared of the boy on the bus who sits down next to me even though there are plenty of free seats. His hand is on my leg and I try to convince myself it’s an accident. I am scared of my housemate who looms above me, and when he shows me how much stronger than me he is, it makes my heart jump. I am scared of the men I work with who laugh about lad nights out and their pack mentality. I am scared of the man who walks behind me in the dark as I come home from town and I pull out my phone, pretending I am talking to someone, praying he will go away. I am scared of my cousins who make jokes about girls in the kitchen and comment on the length of the skirt of a girl we know, forgetting that she is underage, not realising they are sexualising a child. I am scared of the tutor who seems a little too smiley and wants to see me alone and logic tells me there is no reason to be afraid but past experience tells me otherwise. I am scared of my lecturers who rush through slides on feminism and who do not condemn students who scoff and say how unnecessary it all is.

I am scared of the man double my age who held me down on his bed and put his hand up my dress and only stopped when I fought him off and ran.

I am scared of the boy who continued to have sex with me after I told him not to, after I cried out no, after I tried to push him away.

I have been scared for most of my life and now I am very scared for my daughters.

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean