May 8, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voice of V-ISA

Thoughts on Homesickness

Second times are usually dismissed as being less significant by most people. I was one of them until reality proved me wrong. I have had the worst week of my life leaving home for the second time, even though I did not anticipate feeling anything close to that when I boarded my plane in Hanoi.

I have been hit with a wave of homesickness ever since arriving at the Auckland airport back in March. Last year, there was the thrill of being in a new country, the excitement of meeting new people, the eagerness to learn new things, and the anticipation of a great journey ahead. I was mostly occupied with adapting to the new changes that I hardly had time to think about home or the fact that I was half a world apart from my family. I was too consumed with the exciting little things of being an international student in cosmopolitan Wellington.

This time around, things are different. I am not a “newbie” anymore. The fact that I am once again away from home left a big hole inside me that took a toll on me for the first week of uni. I am sure everyone goes through that stage at some point of life — whether you are one hour or 24 hours away from home.

I realised by the second week that it was something inevitable, something I would have to live with. It was alright to miss home and feel a little bit lost sometimes. The thing that matters is to turn this feeling of homesickness into motivation.  At the end of the day, it is this feeling that drives one to study harder and live to the fullest. It is through hardship that people rise to their best self.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t