May 8, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voice of V-ISA

Thoughts on Homesickness

Second times are usually dismissed as being less significant by most people. I was one of them until reality proved me wrong. I have had the worst week of my life leaving home for the second time, even though I did not anticipate feeling anything close to that when I boarded my plane in Hanoi.

I have been hit with a wave of homesickness ever since arriving at the Auckland airport back in March. Last year, there was the thrill of being in a new country, the excitement of meeting new people, the eagerness to learn new things, and the anticipation of a great journey ahead. I was mostly occupied with adapting to the new changes that I hardly had time to think about home or the fact that I was half a world apart from my family. I was too consumed with the exciting little things of being an international student in cosmopolitan Wellington.

This time around, things are different. I am not a “newbie” anymore. The fact that I am once again away from home left a big hole inside me that took a toll on me for the first week of uni. I am sure everyone goes through that stage at some point of life — whether you are one hour or 24 hours away from home.

I realised by the second week that it was something inevitable, something I would have to live with. It was alright to miss home and feel a little bit lost sometimes. The thing that matters is to turn this feeling of homesickness into motivation.  At the end of the day, it is this feeling that drives one to study harder and live to the fullest. It is through hardship that people rise to their best self.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con