June 6, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

Woah, Issue 12 — we made it! This week is the Opinion Issue. As an opener, we have a piece on the first ever editor of Salient, A. H. (Bonk) Scotney. A massive thank you to the Scotney family who were generous with their stories and memories about Bonk that were the basis of the piece.

Times have changed, as has this publication. Rire Scotney recalls when she worked on Salient: “…we had to get the copy on the Thursday night bus to get the printing slot in Wanganui.” Today, our printer is just down the road and file transferring doesn’t require us to leave the office. However that’s not all that’s different.

The student body at VUW has changed considerably since Salient’s birth and the struggle to reflect students’ voice has grown more complex. Victoria College (as this institution was once called) had a roll of 2,400 students in 1948. 69 years later and we have over 21,000 students — to be an effective Organ of Student Opinion proves difficult when so many of us share this one organ.

The last 13 issues of Salient are the products of a collective effort including 100+ writers (almost all who are volunteers), those who have agreed to be interviewed, those who have submitted their art, and those who’ve shared encouraging or constructive feedback.

It’s not too late to join the team! When you find some breathing time after your assignments and exams, consider sending us an email at editor@salient.org.nz and let us know where your interests lie and how you’d like to contribute.

But you probably have more pressing things to worry about right now… so all the best for your final assignments and exam preparations, and we’ll see you in five weeks!

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop