June 6, 2017 | by  | in News |

Hall residents break things, mums can no longer visit

Extensive damage at Joans Stevens Hall on May 27–28 has led to an indefinite ban on alcohol and guests, with students being warned they will all need to contribute to the thousands of dollars in repairs if those responsible do not come forward.

Around 40 separate cases of property damage were reported, including broken doors and toilets, shattered glass, and vomit-stained furniture.

One News reported that a number of residents did not feel safe, and as a result would be leaving the Hall. “It’s just not a fun place to live. It’s not comfortable. You don’t feel safe sometimes,” reflected one student.

VUWSA President Rory Lenihan-Ikin said the behaviour was “disappointing.”

“It’s not what other students expect, and it doesn’t reflect the culture of the student body as a whole. All students have the right to feel safe in their homes or halls.”

Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford released a statement on May 31 announcing that an investigation had been launched into the incident.

“The ban will remain in place until the investigation is completed and disciplinary measures considered.”

“VUW has strict expectations regarding student behaviour which are outlined in our Student Conduct Statute. When an individual or group of students breaks the rules, robust and clear disciplinary processes are in place.”

A number of residents suggested that they knew the person responsible, but would not identify them “because [they’re] a GC.”

One resident told Salient, “it’s a private affair, this is our home. I’m no snitch and I’m not going have my words twisted.”

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop