June 6, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Te Ara Tauira

The first thing I noticed about other Māori students was the pride in their walk. Each step, confident and affirmed as though you had a bigger reason for being here. Your gaze, almost intimidating and fierce, yet quietly humble. I couldn’t help my curiosity about the various reasons you all chose to come here. Whether it be the place you come from or the place you eventually want to be, I admired the way you carried it. Staunch, strong, and true.

After writing this I thought “well… not all Māori students are like this are they?” Surely being staunch, strong, and true isn’t a prerequisite to being a Māori student here is it?

Sometimes we can be sensitive and vulnerable.

Sometimes the weight of our reasons can feel too heavy and often leave us tired.

Sometimes this stuff affected my walk. In my stride, I thought “does anyone feel this way too?”

Sometimes the way we react to hard times are honest reflections of our own reality, and that life, at times, can be cold, strenuous, sad, and lonely. To me it makes sense to respectfully acknowledge that. But perhaps it is up to you how it affects you. You could talk to a friend about it, but there are support services around if you need them.

Currently I’m hanging around inside the Bubble: level two, Student Union Building. I can’t promise that I can fully relate to what you have to say but I suppose that’s what comes with this form of whakamomori. We offer free fruit at the bubble with bean bags, board/card games, and tea (kawakawa leaves courtesy of yours truly).

Sometimes we need to tend to the fires of our taha hinengaro and wairua, not just the physical world of our taha tinana and whanau. Don’t be afraid to drop by, even just for a kēmu, and know that there are willing ears out there. Including mine.