June 6, 2017 | by  | in The Bubble |

The Bubble

“I am okay and I DEFINITELY have my life together,” I chant, ritualistically, as I put the kettle in the fridge. “I am okay and I DEFINITELY have my life together,” again, only this time I’ve poured milk into my cereal bowl before the cereal and, wait, is that my toothbrush I just used as a spoon? All right, fine. I’m lying to myself. I’m a typical university student trying to navigate the world and I have no idea what I’m doing.

At university, there appears to be an ongoing trend for students to appear like they have everything together. We smile in lecture theatres, we meet friends for coffee, and many of us browse the “Cool Dog Group” on Facebook for at least two hours at a time. We do this, having accepted that this is just how life is supposed to be for the next however-many years.

The pressure to appear as if everything is okay is more demanding than the pressure of submitting four assignments on one day. As you move through your week, try to recognise when you have adopted this façade, and avoid it. Being stressed when under pressure is normal, especially when you have assignments due, you haven’t seen your best friend in weeks, and you’re battling Wellington’s temperamental weather.

Dedicate time to yourself and try not to feel guilty about it. Identify a person you trust and simply tell them what is on your mind. It is the smallest connections in life that often become the most meaningful. The first step in your navigation of this adult world should be accepting that things don’t always have to appear as if they are all fine and dandy.

But what would I know? I just spilt coffee on my laptop… and I forgot it was rubbish day today…

1