June 6, 2017 | by  | in Food |

Tom Yum Paste — a gift that keeps giving

Many might know tom yum paste as the basis for an easy tom yum soup. It is made from an aggregation of spices and herbs — lemongrass, shallots, galangal, chili, dried shrimp, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, and garlic — that commonly define Thai cuisine. With paste in hand, you can create rich flavours while also saving time and money. A jar can be found in every decent supermarket (so not New World Metro) for less than five dollars.

While one should certainly use it at home this winter to recreate the beauty and warmth of your fabled Thai food excursions, such as tom yum soup, I’ve found some other uses for this paste that should make a jar a staple in your kitchen.

FOOD - Tom Yum Paste

TOM YUM FRIED RICE

The secret to fried rice is the use of at least one day old cooked rice which has been sitting around in the fridge/freezer. This is due to the reduced starch content and moisture of old rice, creating a distinct and defined texture to each grain and hopefully meaning it is less likely to end up a panful of rice mush.

You can enhance this dish further by adding meats of your choosing mid-way through cooking. I would recommend de-shelled prawns or pre-fried pieces of tofu for this one.

Serves 3 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients

3 tablespoons oil

1 tablespoon of tum yum paste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 handful of green beans  
2 handfuls of frozen peas and carrots
1 tablespoon of tum yum paste
3 cups leftover cooked white rice
2 teaspoon fish sauce or to taste

1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar (optional)

1 large chilli (more if you like it hot)

1 sprig of coriander

Method

Heat up a little bit of oil in a pan and fry a beaten egg with a drop of fish sauce into an omelette. Set aside. Add and heat up the remaining oil in the pan. Add the garlic into the pan and stir-fry until lightly browned and aromatic. Add the tom yum paste. Keep stirring to activate the flavours. Turn up the heat, and add the cooked rice. Coat the rice evenly with the flavours and quickly add the frozen peas, carrots, green beans, and coriander stalks. Add the fish sauce.

Cut the fried egg into strips and then add it to the pan. Stir continuously to combine all the ingredients, making sure not to burn the bottom. Add a little splash of rice wine vinegar.  Remove the tom yum fried rice from the pan. Serve immediately and garnish with chopped chillies and coriander leaves.

TOM YUM MAYO

This has become our addiction and is a go to condiment at home for burgers, sandwiches, and fish ‘n’ chips. It is very simple to prepare and can be made in advance. It keeps well in a glass jar stored in the fridge.

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Ingredients

1 part tom yum paste

5 parts mayonnaise

½ lemon juiced

Method:

Whisk everything up in a metal bowl. Add more of any of the ingredients to balance to your preferred taste.

1