June 6, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voice of V-ISA

How to cope with homesickness: a beginner’s guide (part two)

5) Get a taste of your own culture at times

The goal of studying abroad is to immerse every bit of yourself in a new culture. However, exposure to your own culture every now and then can be a great way to deal with homesickness. You might feel a lot better after treating yourself to a fancy meal at a restaurant that carries the taste of home and plays your country’s music. This has always been able to brighten my mood for the day. A little bit of home is never too much.

6) Set aside some time for yourself

There’s a certain importance in being able to spend time by yourself. It’s nothing out of this world, really, just doing the things that bring you joy and take your mind off things. It can be cuddling up with a good book, binge-watching that new Netflix show everyone is raging on about, picking up the camera and taking shots of your surroundings, or simply just sitting down and giving journal writing a go. Writing has been therapeutic for me.

7) Give your own place a homey feeling

When packing my stuff, I knew that I could not fit my entire bedroom into that medium-sized suitcase, but there were little things that could definitely fit in. Even while here, there’s at least a thing or two that reminds me of home — that gives me a feeling of home. Give your place a touch of green, several photo frames, and a couple of things here and there to make it homey and comfortable so that you wouldn’t detest the idea of chilling at your very own place. Make it a place you want to go back to after a tiring day at university.

These are some of the strategies that might be of help if you’re terribly craving for home. Homesickness, as a whole, is that anxious feeling that will resurface occasionally. It is fundamental not to let the extent of it hinder you from enjoying yourself and missing out on the fun of being here!

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos