June 6, 2017 | by  | in Visual Arts |

What To See

In lieu of my opinion, here are some places you might like to go form your own over the break. If you think of something good, write to me: arts@salient.org.nz

Adam Art Gallery: Acting Out

“Works by a selection of New Zealand and international artists who address the physicality of the body.”

> July 9

Bartley and Company Art: Into the Anthropocene

Conor Clarke, Anne Noble, and Deborah Rundle “question and explore the dominant paradigms that have led the world to the position it is in today.”

> June 24

Bowen Galleries: Four Young Artists — Two From Auckland & Two From Wellington.

Works by Nicholas Pound, Tom Tuke, Yvette Velvin, and Rachel Weeber. Opens Monday, June 12, 5.30 pm.

> 1 July

City Gallery Wellington

Has four shows on: Colin McCahon: On Going Out With the Tide; Martino Gamper: 100 Chairs in 100 Days; Petra Cortright: RUNNING NEO—GEO GAMES UNDER MAME; and Shannon Te Ao: Untitled (McCahon House Studies).

The Dowse

Has five shows on: The Mind in the Hand: Drawing from the Dowse Collection; This Time of Useful Consciousness: Political Ecology Now; Richard Stratton: Living History; Emma Fitts: From Pressure to Vibration — the Event of a Thread; and Dark Objects.

Enjoy Public Art Gallery: Indecent Literature

“Robbie Handcock’s paintings explore historic depictions of gay sexuality in order to question contemporary queer existence.”

> June 24

MEANWHILE: No One is Sovereign in Love

Works by Freya Daly Sadgrove, Laura Duffy, Robbie Handcock, Alexandra Hollis, Ruby Joy Eade, and Aliyah Winter — curated by Simon Gennard.

> June 10

Pātaka

Has six shows on: Boundless—printmaking beyond the frame; Kereama Taepa—Whakapī; INFLUX—Tautai Contemporary Pacific Arts Trust Exhibition; Recollections + Wayne Youle; New Zealand Potters—Tableware; and Te Kāhui O Matariki—The Art of Matariki.

Peter McLeavy Gallery: I Object

“A sculpture exhibition of gallery artists: Andrew Barber, Oleg Polounine, Peter Robinson, and Yvonne Todd.”

> June 17

play_station: a trip to the beach

Works by Nicholas Pound, Emma McIntyre, and Anh Tran. “With the nature of a road trip in mind, these three artists are off to the beach.”

> June 17

Precinct 35b: Gone with Makura

Will Bennett’s paintings “trace the steps of NZ criminal and prison escapee Joseph Pawelka.”

> June 15

Toi Pōneke: Pūkana whakarunga! Pūkana whakararo!

“Contemporary artworks by leading and emerging Māori artists are paired with virtual taonga from the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, accessed via visitors’ mobile devices.” Curated by Suzanne Tamaki.

> June 24