July 17, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

Continued Confusion over Library Lifts

Confusion remains as to whether the lifts in the Rankine Brown building will be operational for trimester one of 2018.

Director of Property Services, Stephen Costley, told Salient that VUW “is currently considering options for the reinstatement of the Rankine Brown lifts. We are unable to provide a precise timeframe until this process is complete. We hope to have a lift service for trimester one, 2018.”

However, when a Salient reporter approached a staff member working in the Kelburn Library on July 11, they said that staff had been told that lifts were likely to be out of action until at least May 2018, following a library staff briefing on the progress.

University Librarian Janet Fletcher would not confirm this with Salient.

The library building was base-isolated in 2011 to reduce earthquake damage, but the lifts were not included in this measure. As a result, they remained rigid when the November 14 earthquake occurred. This resulted in significant damage to the lift shafts.

The VUW website states that the Rankine Brown lifts will be unavailable for “some time” due to the 2016 earthquake.

In an update on June 6, VUW said that they did not yet know how long it would take to fix, but would let students know “as soon as we do.”

“The lifts are a priority and we can assure you we are doing everything we can to get them operational.”

The lack of lifts presents not only an inconvenience to students and staff, but also an issue of access for those students who cannot use the stairs.

A plan, developed between Disability Services and VUW, ensures that patrons who are unable to use the stairs can still access the Library’s physical resources through a retrieval service. However, the service is only available during staffed hours.

VUWSA President Rory Lenihan-Ikin said of the issue, “Yeah, we need the lifts back, like, ASAP.”

1