July 31, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

Kia ora e hoa!

This week’s issue of Salient is presented to you by the Victoria University Feminist Organisation (VicUFO) to celebrate our annual Women’s Week. This past year has seen a lot of changes within our representative group, the biggest change being our name — formerly the VUWSA Women’s Group. The name change embodies the evolving values of the group, shifting from solely focusing on women, to being more inclusive and intersectional. While we acknowledge that not all women identify as being feminist, we felt that shifting the term from women to feminist encompassed gender minorities and those previously excluded by the use of a gendered term.

Intersectional feminism is a branch of feminism originating from Black feminist circles, and was introduced to feminist theory by Kimberelé Crenshaw. It recognises that oppressive institutions are interconnected and should not be examined separately from one another. It contrasts to earlier waves of feminism that can be characterised as “white feminism”, catering to the white, middle class, and socially and physically abled female experience. Through intersectionality we are able to recognise that we all experience different power dynamics based on our individual and unique identities, and that forms of oppression are interlinked and cannot be solved alone.

In this issue, we have accumulated writers of diverse identities to give an insight into the varying challenges faced within these institutions. It is important when reading these pieces to self-reflect and recognise the privileges your identity affords you, while also decentering your perspective to open up to understanding the experiences of others.

Women’s Week this year is focused on celebrating the creativity and diversity of wāhine, women, and gender minorities. We have various events throughout the week and would love to see you there. Check out the schedule on the opposite page, as well as Facebook for more information.

♥ Thank you to everyone who contributed to this issue and to those involved with the planning of Women’s Week, your hard work is greatly appreciated. ♥

Kia ora rawa atu,

— Cole Hutchinson (VicUFO President)

1