July 17, 2017 | by  | in PGSA |

Postgrad Informer

Academic life is challenging at the best of times. Juggling data collection, research, writing, teaching, marking, publishing, and conference attendance. Squeezing in a social life, meditation, perhaps a jog here and there, a call to your parents, some spinach. Managing wellbeing on an individual level is a testing part of the thesis writing process. If you feel that you are struggling with your hauora, there is a wealth of services at VUW that can give you guidance. Feel free to touch base with PGSA if you need any help connecting with university services.

For students, and emerging academics with families in particular, academia can be an unfriendly environment. Social events often occur at night, and revolve around drinking; school pickups and sick days put a dent in productive time spent in the office; offices themselves are not child-friendly, nor the annual international conferences. Although schedules are flexible, and it is often possible to work from home, parents can be disadvantaged by the nature of academic life, as in the greater work force.

PGSA is looking to do our bit to provide opportunities for whanau to be a greater part of the university community. We are looking to consult with students on this, and your feedback and guidance will be important in making sure that the events and initiatives we organise are suited to the needs of students and their families. Get in touch to put in your two cents, and make sure you get involved with our upcoming events survey.

In the meantime, partners are welcome at our bi-monthly Interactive Forums, and you can look out for an update before the end of the year about the introduction of child minding at these events.

1