July 17, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Presidential Address

Kia ora whanau and welcome back! Or if you are starting at Vic for the first time, welcome to Te Whare Wānanga o te Ūpoko o te Ika a Māui, and to VUWSA.

Hopefully you all had some time to relax over the break, see family, or perhaps earn a bit of cash to help you through the rest of the year. Hopefully you also got the grades you were after! Well done for making it back in tri 2 anyway.

It’s been a pleasure to meet a few of the new students who are starting at Vic this trimester. The excitement and optimism was delightful, and took me back to that first O-Week feeling that we’ve all had.

Taking some time off over the holidays I had the chance to reflect on what an extraordinary job I’ve got, and how lucky I am to get to work alongside a fabulous team at VUWSA trying to make Vic a more exciting, more equitable, and more caring place for students.

I am hugely proud of the things that have been achieved by VUWSA, and all the other student associations and groups we work alongside with, so far in 2017. This trimester is going to be a wild one. There is a general election, a flat hunting season, the launch of our new sanitary products scheme, a decision on Fairer Fares, an opportunity for progress on getting more decent student housing, and much more.

With the start of a new trimester it’s a great time to get involved. We will be seeking volunteers for our general election campaign and other projects, and clubs are waiting for you to sign up, including the growing Student Volunteer Army.

Don’t forget to check out what we’ve got going on in Re-O-Week, and if you were lucky enough to get a ticket for Lil Yachty, I’ll see you there.

1