July 31, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

According to the Abortion Law Reform Association of New Zealand, “one in every four women has an abortion in her lifetime.” Despite the high number of New Zealand women seeking an abortion at some point in their lives, unlawful abortion is a crime in New Zealand, included in the Crimes Act 1961. There are some circumstances where an abortion is not unlawful, like if pregnancy was caused by rape or incest, or if two certifying consultants agree that continuing pregnancy would seriously harm the mental or physical health of the woman — according to Family Planning New Zealand, 98–99% of abortions are undertaken on the grounds that pregnancy would pose serious danger to a woman’s mental health. If found guilty of administering or procuring an abortion illegally, a person may face up to 14 years in prison. Should abortion be removed from the Crimes Act 1961?

Greens at Vic

Yes.

— Kayden Briskie

Young Nats — Lower North Island

The Young Nats do not have an official stance on this question. We view it as a conscience issue and therefore one for individuals to make their minds up on, rather than creating a uniform response.

Both sides of the debate have valid points and concerns to raise. On one hand, by removing abortion from the Crimes Act we step closer to more liberalised regulation and increased access for woman while also helping to destigmatise abortion itself.

On the other hand, individuals arguing against the reform see it as a way to ensure only safe and secure abortions occur in New Zealand, and by removing it from the Crimes Act we would require new legislation to protect against unwanted terminations.

The Young Nats encourage the debate and discussion to be had and want our members, and the general voting public, to have the freedom to make their own minds up on the issue.

Vic Labour

Yes.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot