July 24, 2017 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Things to see places to be

New shows have opened and there are a bunch of events on this week. I’ve listed a few here — I hope you find something you might enjoy.

The Adam Art Gallery has just opened it’s new show, The Tomorrow People. The exhibition “brings together a selection of works from an emerging generation of artists that offer urgent, resourceful, and playful possibilities for navigating troubling times.” It’s a big show (25 artists!) that asks interesting questions about the world we stand to inherit.

A new range of exhibitions has just opened at The Dowse Art Museum, including Fiona Clark: Te Iwi o Te Wāhi Kore, an exhibition of documentary photographs from the ’80s to the present by Fiona Clark which “reflect the activities, concerns and taonga of tangata whenua of Taranaki”; Maureen Lander: Flat-Pack Whakapapa, three installations by Maureen Lander which use raranga as a means of exploring the concept of whakapapa; and He Taonga Te Reo, an exhibition of objects from the Dowse’s collection which consider how language is integral to identity, 30 years after te reo Māori was made an official language.

Pātaka has also just opened three new shows: Máximo Laura — Eternal Vision, work by Peruvian tapestry artist Máximo Laura; TAKU HIKOI, LA’U MALAGA — My footprint, my walk, my journey, artworks by artists who have accessed the Te Korowai Whariki mental health services of Rangipapa, Purehurehu, and Tangaroa, and the Rangitahi/youth service, which showcase how artmaking can aid the journey towards mental wellbeing; and Flock Together, which brings together works across a range of media by Whanganui artists Leonie Sharp, Angela Tier, Tracey Piercy, and Emma Cunningham, exploring their shared interest in birds as inspiration, subject matter, material, and resource.

On Monday, July 24, from 12.15–1.15pm, Charlotte Wood and Emily Perkins will be in conversation at Te Papa as a part of their Writers on Mondays series. Their conversation will focus on what it means to write from this corner of the globe, and ask what fiction can grant us in the contemporary moment. Writers on Mondays is a weekly series that runs until October 2. Visit www.tepapa.govt.nz for more details on who will be speaking and when.

Also on July 24, Jeff Sessions will be talking at City Gallery Wellington from 6.00pm as a part of the Deane Lecture Series. His lecture “The Maungapōhatu Diamond: The Poetics and Truth of Prophecy” will focus on the significance of the Maungapōhatu diamond to Rua Kenana and his movement and its vision of political and economic independence.

Anxious Garden, an exhibition of new work by George Watson, opens at Enjoy Public Art Gallery on July 26 at 5.30pm. A text to accompany the exhibition, written by Anna Rankin, will be released that night.

On July 27 Horizons, an exhibition of camera-less photography by Poppy Lekner, opens at Toi Pōneke from 5.30pm.