July 24, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voice of V-ISA

My Time in New Zealand

I came to New Zealand in July 2015 — man, it was cold! It never crossed my mind that I would lose to the forces of the wind until I first stepped foot in Wellington. This year, I am going back home for good. I am going back to home-cooked meals, the heat, and to my loved ones. But I know that once in awhile, when I close my eyes, I will wish I can feel the coldness of the wind brushing off my cheeks as I walk by the harbour.

I will miss all the night markets in the city. My favourite restaurant is Arashi; you should give it a try. I still wonder why the lunch menu is cheaper than the dinner menu. I will miss the scenery during my road trips, although it might start to look the same after awhile: green, blue, brown, and mountains.

If I could relive my time here as a student, what I would do is take my studies more seriously, go to lectures, and get to know people from different countries apart from the Asian community. I would also take part in VILP, be part of different clubs, and join in sports competitions. Most importantly, I wish I took the opportunity to go fruit picking during the summer.

For new international students, use this as a guide if you feel like you are lost and you are unsure of what to do next. You will do fine. Just be yourself and have fun.

P.S. Do not lose yourself to fit in. Be careful of people who claim to be your friends but only do so for their benefit. If you are in a relationship, do not make that a reason not to go out and explore and meet other people!

1