With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA

Auckland University Students’ Association (AUSA) has formally cancelled its resignation from the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA), choosing to retain full membership.

The decision reverses the resignation given by the 2016 AUSA Executive, which required a one year notice period. The issues that led to AUSA’s resignation included “NZUSA’s communication, professionalism, effectiveness in working with government, and value for money,” according to AUSA President Will Matthews.

The 2017 Executive had requested an extension of this notice period, to consider its position more fully.

Matthews said that they had “engaged with NZUSA over the last year on these issues, and the Executive is really pleased to see some major improvements taking place within NZUSA to address them.”

NZUSA President Jonathan Gee said that NZUSA was “delighted” with the move.

“NZUSA is based on the core principle of kotahitanga, where we believe that students’ associations working together collectively stand the best chance of making a difference in the lives of students. We’re pleased that AUSA has reaffirmed its commitment to this collective and has decided to support the national student voice.”

VUWSA President Rory Lenihan-Ikin reiterated this. “It is more important than ever that we have a collective voice, and we are heartened that AUSA have shown belief in this voice and a commitment to it.”

Although AUSA was still seeking further improvements and discussion about membership cost, “generally, we’re really looking forward to a positive and productive relationship with NZUSA in the future, and we’re happy to be back.”

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America