August 14, 2017 | by  | in Can Do |

Access Denied

Hi, my name is Lilli, and I’m an Academic Support Worker for Disability Services here at Victoria.

Academic Support Worker roles include note taking, reading, writing for students during tests and exams, and making resources accessible for students. My primary roles are reading/writing and accessibility support.

As you might expect, we are very busy during the university calendar, especially around exam time. This year was my first experience of being a reader/writer/supervisor for exams. I was nervous, at first. I wanted the best for my students, and was concerned that my inexperience would interfere with their experiences. I schooled my bubbling anxiety about it and plunged headlong into a slew of exams, spanning the whole exam period.

For my first exam (and the subsequent ones) I arrived a half-hour before the designated time. Nervously, I re-examined my guidelines, chiseling every instruction into my mind. I reassured myself: the first instance of anything is always the hardest. With my resolve hardened I relaxed somewhat. Part of being a reader/writer is reassuring the student by being calm and collected. I smoothed down my frazzled nerves and waited.

The student arrived, and we were on our way to our exam room. Naturally, it was tucked out of the way of the main lecture theatres, and I felt the tension creeping back into my shoulders. What if I got us lost? However, the unthinkable did not come to pass, and we arrived safely to the exam room. From there, we settled in, and the time flew by; before I knew it, we had finished the exam. Relief washed over me, as the student was happy with their work. We parted ways and I returned the paper and resources to the faculty office, looking forward to the next exam with newfound confidence.

1