August 14, 2017 | by  | in Music |

Can of Worms!

As it is for many, music has always been a place in my life where I can find depth and feeling. And when these experiences are shared with others, it makes them all the more meaningful. I started studying music five years ago because I wanted to find out how music can move us in the way that it does. After all this time, I find it usually comes back to the experience of identity and belonging among people. I’m lucky to be friends with so many talented artists that have helped be apart of who I am, and I want to share them to the world.

Which is why I’m so excited about the release of Can of Worms! — a compilation tape featuring a collection of songs from a bunch of different musical projects. This thing is a collaboration between some great friends and talented artists that I’ve been lucky enough to befriend. Big tunes and buzzy art. 18 tracks, two posters, and a whole load of cassettes. It is a lens into some of the musicians bursting at the seams in creative scenes throughout the country (and the internet).

The proceeds go towards supporting fieldwork expenses for my Master’s, where I’m looking into hip-hop as a tool of expression for Japanese youth. Hip-hop culture worldwide has grown to become a voice for so many and Japanese hip-hop is now its own bonafide musical style and subculture. My work focuses on how hip-hop creates voices of dialogue for people the world over and draws attention to some of the talented underground MCs that often don’t want to compete in the commercial industry, but still want to be recognised for their talent.

Can of Worms! incorporates a mix of electronic, eclectic, and enormous tunes — fuzzy guitar melodies from the likes of Hans Pucket, Casseus Nebula, C R Barlow, and Mr. Amish; galactic trap from Bill Heavens; jangly guitar from Str8breetha; hip-hop hitters from Stevie Franchise and Pope Flamez; ambient warmth from Swampman; sound art pieces from George Nelson and Marcus Jackson as well as many others. These creatives are producing content in all walks of life. One is currently making a book to sell in Tokyo, another is linking up with homies in the US he met via Twitter. Most of the talent on this record comes from musicians who have spent their time as bedroom producers, meticulously honing their craft, finding their sound.

The artwork for the cassette tape features alternate covers from Louie Jackson and Stevie Franchise. Denzel De Ruyusscher made a poster of the hazy scenes of Tokyo, and Louie cartoonified the Can of Worms! name.

There’s so much great music to discover out there if you look hard enough. But this a good place to start. Please consider buying this thing so I can get back to studying!

The compilation is available from canofwormscompilation.bandcamp.com for as little as a Vic Books coffee. Use the code “salientmag” for a 20% discount.

Support ya locals, #getwittytojapan.

1