August 21, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

For context, each issue of Salient has had a colour running through it. Blues, greens, yellows, but not yet a red — a pink, but not a red.

We thought it would be interesting to ask people to write toward a colour. Some did, some didn’t, but the presence of the pieces together with red unites them. Would it be the same if they were all run under a yellow, or a purple?

Probably not.

This seems important, relevant to how we view and engage with things — in print, and beyond. Would the sunset sting as much if it were violet?

But are these even important questions?

Fuck knows. Red is nice though.

***

I like red lipstick because it’s loud. I don’t think of myself as a loud person. But I was talking to my brother and he said I shout instead of talk, and my laugh is…  

When I think of embarrassing moments, I remember watching Dirty Dancing with my mother. During Johnny and Baby’s sex scene, I tried to contort my face to indicate that I didn’t know what sex was because I didn’t want her to know I knew, but she’s not an idiot and definitely knew my fake surprise was dumb and fake…

Taylor Swift’s RED concert was the last concert I’ve been to. I went with my then-boyfriend, I wore red lipstick, a cat-ears headband, and had my period at the time. I still like her songs…

These are incomplete thoughts. All my thoughts are incomplete thoughts.

1