August 21, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

For context, each issue of Salient has had a colour running through it. Blues, greens, yellows, but not yet a red — a pink, but not a red.

We thought it would be interesting to ask people to write toward a colour. Some did, some didn’t, but the presence of the pieces together with red unites them. Would it be the same if they were all run under a yellow, or a purple?

Probably not.

This seems important, relevant to how we view and engage with things — in print, and beyond. Would the sunset sting as much if it were violet?

But are these even important questions?

Fuck knows. Red is nice though.

***

I like red lipstick because it’s loud. I don’t think of myself as a loud person. But I was talking to my brother and he said I shout instead of talk, and my laugh is…  

When I think of embarrassing moments, I remember watching Dirty Dancing with my mother. During Johnny and Baby’s sex scene, I tried to contort my face to indicate that I didn’t know what sex was because I didn’t want her to know I knew, but she’s not an idiot and definitely knew my fake surprise was dumb and fake…

Taylor Swift’s RED concert was the last concert I’ve been to. I went with my then-boyfriend, I wore red lipstick, a cat-ears headband, and had my period at the time. I still like her songs…

These are incomplete thoughts. All my thoughts are incomplete thoughts.

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives