August 21, 2017 | by  | in Eye on Exec |

Eye on the Exec

It was raining a lot and the music students were playing jazz downstairs — the beginnings of a poetic evening spent in the company of the lovely VUWSA Executive. Here are a few updates from what was a relatively benign public section of the meeting on August 14. Minutes are posted on the VUWSA website

President Rory Lenihan-Ikin gave his address and said that the launch of “We Have Power”, NZUSA’s campaign to get every student to vote in the upcoming election, had been a success with good media coverage. However, they had been scheduled to talk on the AM Show but got bumped half an hour before because of the controversy surrounding Metiria Turei…

Democracy Week was also a success, with Rory suggesting the events — which were targeted toward students — had a “different flavour” to the normal public lectures hosted by the university.

The Executive attended a Rotary Forum held on August 1. The night before Rory suggested he was apprehensive — “we’ve got to spend five hours at the Rotary with old people” in the middle of a busy week — but said it was “fantastic,” and Engagement Vice President Nathaniel Manning found it “inspiring.” Also handy, the table next to VUWSA at the forum was full of councillors from the Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC); the day after the GWRC had their workshop where they decided to (finally) include fairer fares (albeit a watered down version of) in the Annual Plan.

To jump round temporally (this column isn’t bound by the meeting’s agenda) Rory briefed the Executive on the GWRC’s inclusion of the provision for a 25 per cent discount on public transport fares for tertiary students. He stressed that the only thing that could stop it now is an outpouring of public opposition, so VUWSA will be relaunching the Fairer Fares website with a new video filmed on Sunday (to be re-filmed, as the sound didn’t work) while Rory was a bit dusty from a full day at Beervana. “Only at Beervana is there enough hops in beer to make you sneeze.”

Treasurer/Secretary Tom Rackley asked whether VUWSA was allowed to re-use submissions. 1700 submission were gathered in support of Fairer Fares from students and ratepayers earlier in the year. Rory said the Chair of the Transport Committee, Barbara Donaldson, had told them “we could reuse them for any further consultation this year” — VUWSA hopes they stand by this.

Other things include a briefing on VUWSA’s oral submission on the Tertiary Education Amendment Bill, read by Rory and Equity Officer Tamatha Paul, on August 2; a recommendation from Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Bethany Paterson to the university to shake up the provision of healthy food in vending machines; and a memo from CEO Matt Tucker to review the safety of the VUWSA reception desks.

The meeting went into committee for half an hour, the jazz kept playing, the rain kept falling, and I got wet on the walk home.