August 7, 2017 | by  | in One Ocean |

One Ocean

A few weeks ago, I was sitting on my flight to Wellington thinking, time for another trimester of of uni. I have soooo much to do and 0.00 ideas on how to get everything done!

As the aircraft steadied itself at cruising altitude, the guy beside me got his laptop and a trillion other things out of his bag and proceeded to… watch rugby. Not real rugby though. It was animated rugby like in my little brother’s video games. I was like, okay, you do you… but also there’s like zero space in economy so please don’t move so much!

Then I saw him writing in his notebook. He had several lists, and on the opposite page, in capital letters, he was making extensive notes about the game on the screen. One word that I picked up was STABILITY. I realised he was writing some sort of game plan, neatly assembling all the players in even sections and thinking, very carefully, about how time could be best spent so that the team could score as many tries as possible and. ultimately, win the game. He was looking at what was worth a try, and what was a waste of their (limited) time.

I think uni life is like that. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and think about everything. When you do, you realise how much potential you have, and how big the field that is student life can be. I believe there’s room to score tries (like acing this trimester!) and of course, if you get tackled, be patient with yourself and try again (note to self: no more all-nighters!)

P.S. turns out this guy is an Actual Rugby Player which I found out when the flight attendant recognised him. He’s Samoan so yeaahh, here’s to that growing Pasifika representation that keeps us all going!