People Dying from Synthetic Cannabis

Synthetic cannabis, which was legal in New Zealand until May 2014, is believed to have contributed to the deaths of ten New Zealanders last month.

Acting Detective Inspector Peter Florence told Stuff on July 28 that synthetic cannabis has always been prevalent, but there had been a sudden unexplained spike in recent months.

He said the police were doing everything they could to get synthetic cannabis off the streets, and urged the public to assist by reporting those suspected to be dealing the substance.

Ambulance service provider St John has also seen an increase in patients affected by the drug. On July 20, ambulances responded to 23 synthetic cannabis incidents — an all time high.

“Patients under the influence of this drug are exhibiting grossly disturbed behaviour, often suffering seizures and cardiac arrest,” St John Medical Director Tony Smith, told Stuff.

The Ministry of Health rated synthetic cannabis as the fourth most harmful drug in New Zealand in 2016. It is generally unknown what chemicals synthetic cannabis contains, as it is innocuous plant material with chemicals sprayed onto it.

Chief Coroner Judge Deborah Marshall released a statement on August 1 saying agencies are working hard to identify the drug’s active chemicals.

Avondale Police Inspector Marcia Murray said that “the chemicals used [in manufacturing the drug] are readily accessible to the public.”

Despite the recent deaths, Murray believes there can be a misconception that synthetic cannabis is a “safe” drug because it was once legal.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos