August 14, 2017 | by  | in PGSA |

Postgrad Informer

My Brussels sprouts tasted like absolution. Perfectly roasted and delicately sauced in a fig and balsamic glaze, they accompanied a lavish meal that I bought for myself with the discretionary funds I suddenly had after leaving a relationship in which I was treated like a sort of combination duvet and ATM, with a man who expressed a deep antipathy towards both Brussels sprouts and my financial independence.

We were together for a shockingly long time, thanks to my latent saviour complex and a culturally internalised fear that if I objected to his behaviour, I’d come across as shrill, a nag, a shrew, all of those words that are used specifically to belittle women for being assertive. There was a little bit of overachievement in it as well — I wanted to be the Best Girlfriend Ever, and I mistakenly believed that the growing portfolio of sacrifices and self-denials were assignments I completed on the way to being fully certified as such.

I decided to finally leave a week before I started my Master’s, and starting my thesis represented the beginning of a year of independence, realising I was much happier and much less lonely when I was technically spending much more time alone. I was warned before starting postgrad about the isolation of a thesis, but I prefer the freedom that comes with solitude, with the confidence of setting my own schedule. I’ve become a bit of a gourmet recluse, and I love it. I finally have the time and energy to do (and eat) the things I love, and to say no to the things I don’t love, without any contradictory messages of repression.

At dinner, I had brought a notebook along with me with notes for a gig I had later that night — the Brussels sprouts that I so highly complimented had been crossed off the bill when I left, and I realised that the notebook combined with the table for one and the four courses I’d ordered had created the false but very convenient impression that I was a food blogger.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn