The Impossible Dream: Fairer Fares Update #394

Following a near-decade long push for “fairer fares,” a discount for tertiary students on public transport has been included in the draft GWRC Annual Plan.

If passed, the initiative would likely be introduced, along with a range of proposed new initiatives, in mid-2018.

VUWSA President Rory Lenihan-Ikin has described the inclusion of the student discount in the draft plan as “a major win” for tertiary students.

As drafted, this discount will be available at all times to full-time tertiary students using Snapper or a new 10-trip concession rail ticket. The discount is 25 per cent off the adult Snapper fare, which equates to around 48 per cent off the current cash fare prices — in line with the Fairer Fares campaign’s push for 50 per cent off public transport.

The decision to include the student discount in the draft Annual Plan came after the public campaign drew more than 1700 submissions to the GWRC in support of fairer fares.

The GWRC are currently accepting public submissions on these proposals. Consultation is open until September 15, with public meetings being held throughout Wellington, Hutt Valley, Porirua, Kapiti, and Wairarapa in that time.

“We are so grateful for the input students and the general public have had in this campaign to date,” Lenihan-Ikin told Salient.  

“We hope they know how important their voice has been in getting this over the line.”

1