August 21, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

Euthanasia has been in the spotlight recently, with ACT MP David Seymour’s End of Life Choice Bill being introduced to the House on June 8. It was reviewed by the Attorney-General Chris Finlayson in a section 7 report for consistency with the Bill of Rights Act 1990. While the Bill was found to be inconsistent with s 19 of the Bill of Rights Act (freedom of discrimination), due to access to assisted dying being restricted to those 18 or over, Finlayson found it to be consistent with the rights and freedoms guaranteed in s 8 (right not to be deprived to life), s 13 (freedom of conscience), and s 14 (freedom of expression). The specifics of Seymour’s Bill aside, do you believe people with a terminal illness or a grievous and irremediable medical condition should have the option to request assisted dying?

Young Nats — Lower North Island

The Young Nats view euthanasia, or assisted dying, as a conscience issue and therefore do not have an official stance on the topic. We encourage MPs, members, supporters, and the public to consider this issue on the balance of fact but also based off their personal values and beliefs, and in the case of MPs, the opinions and beliefs of those constituents that they have been elected to represent.

Regardless of the outcome of David Seymour’s Bill, the Young Nats are advocates and supporters of a compassionate and caring approach to palliative care that is available to all New Zealanders.

The Young Nats are proud of the investment in palliative care this National Government has undertaken alongside with widespread investment in the healthcare sector.

— Sam Stead, LNI Young Nats Chair

Greens at Vic

The specifics of David Seymour’s horrific neoliberal dystopia aside.

We believe it’s time to do away with the social conservatism and political timidity that is prolonging the suffering of terminal patients wishing to end their own life. Medically assisted dying is a complex issue but ultimately we believe patient autonomy and dignity is a crucial and inherent human right.

While the Green Party supports medically assisted dying for terminally ill individuals aged 18 and over, we recognise various safeguards need to be upheld in order to prevent abuse and discrimination. As such, we would not extend medically assisted dying to those who are not terminally ill until New Zealand has in place policies and practices that ensure full social inclusion, including equitable health services, for all disabled people.

— Kayden Briskie

Vic Labour

The ending of a life, even in situations where it is to save someone from certain pain, is a challenging and difficult topic. Vic Labour as a branch has not discussed the issue recently, but has in the past supported the right to die with dignity, and will probably do the same in the future.

With the advances in modern medicine people are living longer with terminal illnesses, though with significantly reduced quality of life. In some situations people face a long period of pain without any chance of improvement. Giving people a way to end their life on their own terms is something that allows people to depart with more dignity than that terminal illness often gives to patients. It remains a conscience issue inside the Labour Party and it is unlikely that the party will take a position on it soon.