September 11, 2017 | by  | in Food |

Kai on a Budget

The reason why I wanted to create Kai on a Budget was to show students that we can eat healthy, spend little, and still have some putea mō te wīki whakatā mō ngā mea pai. Kai on a Budget gives a variety of healthy kai options so we can turn away from surviving on two minute noodles, lasagne, boil up! Yeah these are all reka kai but we can make something different that tastes as good if not better.

One of my favourite meals to cook up is a chicken noodle stir fry. How much of each ingredient you need will depend on if you are cooking for just yourself or the iwi, and portion size.

ART - FOOD - Kai on a Budget

Ingredients (to feed one person):

Canola spray oil

180g chicken breast

1 bundle of Jade Phoenix Thin Noodles

150g of Wattie’s International Mixed Vegetables

62.5g of Wattie’s Wok Creations Honey Soy

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat the frying pan and spray the canola oil on. Using canola spray oil makes sure that you do not overdo it with the good old fashion hinu or pata.
  2. Cut up the chicken breast so that it can be easily mixed into the stir fry and cook faster. Cook until chicken is golden brown.
  3. While the chicken is sizzling away, prepare the noodles in a small pot of boiling water until they have softened and separated. Once they are cooked, drain the water and let them sit while you finish preparing the stir fry. Give the noodles a young tapahi if you desire.
  4. Add the mixed veggies to the chicken. I don’t bother defrosting or precooking so that once they are heated up, they still have a bit of crunch to them.
  5. When you are happy with it all, add the noodles to the mix and give it a toss (this is when chopping them up a bit makes it easier).
  6. Add the Wok Creation Honey Soy to the pan and mix it up so that everything gets flavour. The aroma should be hissing now.
  7. Kua mutu te tunu, time to dish it up and enjoy!

TIPS:

1. If you can’t afford chicken breast at the time, because it can get pretty expenny, a cooked chicken is just as good and you can stretch it out further.
  2. Coat the chicken in flour before cooking so that it keeps the moisture in. You can still cook it to brown it but will keep the inside juicy.
  3. Mixed veggies I find are a lot cheaper than fresh veggies, plus I am one to not have veggies with every single meal so frozen tend to last a lot longer.

We can also take these skills home to show off to our parents and surprise them with our cooking skills. The feeling of being able to cook your own kai lifts your morale and makes your wairua feel good.

He kai tangata, he kai titongitongi kaki; He kai nā tōna ringa, tino kai tino mākona noa.

Food from another is little and stinging to the throat; Food of a man’s own getting, is plentiful and sweet, and satisfying.

— Nā Shaq Milner, Ngāti Porou, Kuki Airani