September 11, 2017 | by  | in Arts Pātai Mai ki a Aunty |

Pātai mai ki a Aunty: Hauora Edition

Wāhine mā, let’s take a little haerenga down a hauora path and answer some pātai that many of us wāhine ask when starting the journey down this huarahi.

1. I want to start getting into regular physical activities but I don’t know where to start. I want to start going to the gym but I don’t know what to do there or how to use any of the machines. What do I do? Where and how did you start your hauora journey?

TIP: Move your body to create energy.

Any little movement is better than nothing. I te tīmatanga o tōku haerenga i runga i tēnei huarahi o te hauora, I started off with a good old fun game of netipōro ki te taha o Ngāi Tauira ia wiki. I used netball to ease my way back into physical activities. However, after a while netball wasn’t enough. It didn’t challenge me like it first did, so I then moved into the big world of the GYM.

When I first started at the whare hākinakina I had NO IDEA what I was upto! I just stuck to the good old treadmill and bike because that’s all I knew — it was my comfort zone. After a while I started getting bored and hoha so I decided to make the pīki whara move upstairs ki te ao o ngā WEIGHTS. Still having no idea what to do i tahuri au ki ōku tino hoa a Youtube me ōku ake hoa. I started watching videos of people’s workouts and began copying. YouTube has so many variations on how to use a machine and a range of workout routines for beginners. I also turned to the people around me for help. There is almost always one person you know that can help you out, all you have to do is pātai.

So, ko tāku ki ā koe find something you are interested in or something you once did (like netipōro) and get back into it, even if it’s just once ia wiki — it’s still an activity. Kimi i tētahi mea that challenges you and take it on. When that activity no longer challenges you, up your game or move on. Kimi i tētahi mea hou that challenges you, and so on.

DON’T BE SCARED TO STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE — YOU WILL FIND THAT THE BEST THINGS ARE OUTSIDE YOUR “ZONE”.

1. I go to the gym and see all these amazing looking wāhine in shape, skinny, fit, and muscly. I sit there with jealousy running through me. I want to be just like them, but I am nowhere near their physique which then leads to me feeling shamed and not wanting to workout. How do I overcome this feeling?

TIP: Use that jealousy to drive you. Let jealousy better you, don’t let it be the better of you!

That jealousy that you are holding on to, hold it tight cause it’s what’s gonna get you there in the end. Every time you see those girls tells yourself “myself, I want to look like that, so I am going to look that!” and then work your aaa off to become “that” kōtiro. You ain’t gonna get anywhere if you let your NEGATIVE attitude be the better of you. Take something NEGATIVE and turn that shiz into a POSITIVE!

Hauora is not just a physical thing, it is also and equally a mental thing.

Me tiaki koe i tō taha Hinengaro hoki.

1. Don’t be afraid to be alone — Take time out for yourself every once in awhile. Isolation = Relaxation and Recovery, it allows for time to think your own thoughts without the opinions and influence of others. It allows you the time to reflect on yourself and your surroundings.
  2. Be yourself — Don’t lose sight of yourself. You are in control of your own life, mind, and body — NO one else.
  3. Respect yourself — Be HAPPY, enjoy what you do! Appreciate yourself and the journey you are on, “it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey and the things you learn along the way.”

Remember: it’s not a competition, go at your own pace and what you feel comfortable doing, but make it worth your time and effort.

YOU CAN MAKE EXCUSES OR YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE! CHOOSE YOUR HARD.

— Nā Cece Wallace, Ngāti Ruanui, Ngā Rouru, Ngāti Tuwharetoa, Ngāti Kahungunu