September 25, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Presidential Address

As I’m writing this, I’ve got no idea what has happened at Saturday’s election.

My bet is that Winston has the country foul hooked on his fishing rod and is sitting in his boat out on the Kaipara Harbour bathing in the glory before winding us all in.

But there will be enough hot takes out there this week about what actually happened, so I won’t try and compete.

So I’ve got some good news and some bad news for you instead.

The bad news is that today marks the start of another election — yes, just when you thought you had heard that word for the last time.

The time of the Orange Man is over. The time now is for the Grange Man.

If you are wondering what the hell I’m on about, this week nominations are open for the VUWSA election.

The good news is that this election is a short sprint in comparison to the ultra marathon that we have just experienced. The other good news is that, judging by the lack of action on any issue of importance in all levels of government, the outcome of the VUWSA election could have a greater impact on your life than the one we’ve just been through.

I mean, is it going to be hawaiian or pepperoni at next year’s AGM?

But seriously, whether you are feeling angry or inspired after the general election, this is a bloody good opportunity to channel that energy into something tangible.

You don’t need to be mates with someone in VUWSA to run for VUWSA. And don’t feel that you are not qualified — none of us are qualified, you’re left to learn on the job. That’s the point of student associations — students representing students.

This year it has been an absolute privilege to represent you. The 2017 executive have been amazing, and now we need to elect a group who can be even better.

This could be you!