September 25, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Te Ara Tauira

Ngāi Tauira is a rōpu built to represent Māori students here at university. We have a rich history in Te Whanganui a Tara, and are based across the road, next to our marae Te Herenga Waka. Ngāi Tauira runs a variety of events, academic sessions, and study groups to help you with your studies, sports and hauora based events, kapa haka, pūrangiaho, and social events among them. In order to run these events, tauira vote in an executive group. This group is chosen at our Annual General Meeting (AGM). This year, our AGM will be held on October 19 at the marae. This is when the new executive group will be chosen, and when we recap and reflect on the year that has passed. If you are interested in applying for one of these roles, read about them below:

TUMUAKI TAKIRUA: The tumuaki takirua are our two presidents of Ngāi Tauira. Usually a tāne and a wahine, who will lead the waka for the year.

ĀPIHA WHAKANGĀHAU: Our events officer organises events throughout the year, whether they be sports, academic, or social, as well as events during Orientation Week etc.

ĀPIHA HAUORA: Our sports and wellness officer. In charge of all things that keep our tinanas in top condition while we study!

POU TUARONGO: Tikanga officer may oversee events such as Kapa Haka, Noho Marae, and hui. Should definitely have a good knowledge of Te Ao Māori.

KAITUHI: Our kaituhi is our secretary, and keeps everything organised in the Ngāi Tauira administration. This includes minutes during meetings, emails, and writing documents.

ĀPIHA TŪMATANUI: The communications officer is involved in the media side of Ngāi Tauira. Their mahi might include managing this column, social media, and organising Te Ao Mārama.

KAITIAKI PŪTEA: The trusty person in charge of all our pūtea! The treasurer makes sure our money is organised to be able to pay for things Ngāi Tauira might need, including kai.

ĀPIHA MĀTAURANGA: This person is here to support tauira on their academic journey. They might organise study sessions, assist you with class issues, and meet with staff of the university.