September 18, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

According to the Electoral Commission, 62.73% of those aged 18–24 who were enrolled voted in the 2014 election. As of September 5, only 66.54% of this age group are currently enrolled. A proliferation of campaigns have encouraged students to vote, but, as representatives of the youth wing of your political parties, we want to know why you think it is important that young people vote?

Greens at Vic

Young people have been systematically disenfranchised and depoliticised by an aggressive campaign of misinformation. We’ve been made to abandon communalism and democratisation in favour of a dehumanising individualism. The consequences of this couldn’t be clearer. Our generation is threatened by runaway climate change, severe income inequality, ongoing warfare, low wages in increasingly precarious work, and a fleeting dream of home ownership.

Our generation must mobilise and reclaim political spaces from the landlords and bosses. This involves going beyond casting a vote. We must engage with communities and campaign at the grassroots level. We must be the generation who rejects xenophobic anti-immigration rhetoric, transphobia, ableism, sexism, beneficiary bashing, and corporate oppression. Young people have the opportunity to build a prosperous, egalitarian, inclusive, and environmentally conscious society — and it is absolutely important we take advantage of it.

Vic Labour

Many young people feel they are often forgotten about or not prioritised. By voting in this election you will be increasing the size of the youth voting bloc. Politicians are more likely to create good policy for young people if more of us are considered likely voters. It’s up to us to make our voices heard — we can’t rely on anyone else to vote on our behalf. One of VicLabour’s roles as a youth branch of a political party is to push for policy that young people think will make a difference — like abortion law reform, stronger support for mental health, and getting homeless off the street. Youth are passionate about a huge variety of issues and this government has not done enough to look after the future of our country. Vote for a change of government this election.