October 9, 2017 | by  | in From Within the Fallout Zone |

From Within the Fallout Zone

Autumn is here, and with it the parks are under a technicolour blanket of leaves, the canal is covered in smog, and I’m wrapped up in a sweaty scarf biking through it all. I imagine a different scene in Wellington, where the spring tide is trying to swallow cyclists off Lambton Quay, succeeding every so often with the help of a nor westerly gale.

You’ll be out of there soon enough. The last due date is in sight, along with those points needed to avoid summer school. You’ll be back on the family farm, or back home on the quarter acre “outside of Auckland” (Hamilton) in no time.

Sadly, your parents won’t want you sticking around too long, mostly because you’re cutting into their Airbnb income in a big way. Don’t worry, it’s a good thing they want you out. Escape to London for the start of that all-promising gap year and join me in collective ignorance of student loans and accumulating interest repayments.* In a few short weeks you’ll be saying: “five quid for a pint? Bargain!”

The sooner you get over here the better. Disposable income doesn’t stay that way forever, and London is the best place to spend it. Bands have finished the European festival circuit and are all winding up in London. Ty Segall was the best live show I’ve seen. Kane Strang, that indie-rock kid from Dunedin, sold out his last London show and is back for more next month. And that’s only the start. The London Film Festival has just begun; News from Home is essential viewing if you’ve ever even thought about leaving NZ for the big smoke. Finally, galleries are opening new shows to coincide with the changing season, from Basquiat’s first UK exhibition at the Barbican, to the new interactive installation by art collective Superflex at Tate Modern. Of course, all this stuff is unmissable.  

So, despite the burning buildings and train bombs and all the rest of it — despite being well and truly within the fallout zone — get over here while you can. Steal from the boomers if you have to. Outside our little island paradise there is something you’re not going to want to miss.

* Ironically, those same parents bought the house after a five year stint in London, working in something to do with finance, with a degree they didn’t have to pay for… Lucky for them we can’t even remember when 33 pence could buy a dollar, let alone voting for a government who might change things for us.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot