October 2, 2017 | by  | in Music |

GIG GUIDE

Wednesday: Habits (Melbourne) w/ Waterfalls, George Turner, Aw B — Come to Caroline for some jiggly wiggly club bangers among other things, and catch Habits’ maiden voyage to our fine land! Starts at 8.00pm, tickets are $10 presale through Just the Ticket or $15 on the door.

Thursday: Tuatara Open Late: Night of the Witch — City Gallery has put on some bitchin’ late nights this year, and this one is set to be the most bitchin’ of them all (60% guarantee). You get to eat sweet dumpling treats, drink Tuatara’s intoxicating elixir, wander the witchy Occulture exhibit, hear a talk about Rosaleen Norton’s work, and hear Wellington’s spookiest ladies (and one gentleman) HEX and Mermaidens play free shows. This will be wild and magical and you’d be a bit of an egg to miss it, really.

Friday Option #1: Shonen Knife (Japan) with special guests HEX — Shonen Knife are a whirlwind of pop-punk glee that will whip you up in its delightful pep. They do a great cover of the Carpenters’ “Top of the World”, which is a song I once sobbed the entirety of to myself on my shower floor, so I am excited to hear that. It is at Meow, from 9.00pm, and it is a somewhat steep $42+BF from UTR, but blow the budget this week for these sweet cherubs.

Friday Option #2: Eclipse — This is an enchanting sounding showcase from music students at Massey, where they will be setting up a contrasting two-stage battle of sounds between one band representing the sun, and one the moon, as they unify in a cataclysmic sonic eclipse. Free entry, 9.00pm at Moon.

Saturday: The Trendees with Strange Stains and the Bent Folk — Load up for a night of strange and unrelenting noise and debauchery at Caroline from 9.00pm. $10 cover.

Friday/Saturday: Radioactive.FM Takeover at the Matterhorn — If none of my delicately hand-picked suggestions tickle your discerning fancy, then there’s always Radioactive’s Matterhorn takeover! The Matterhorn is closing so send it off by shaking your limbs and maybe even bottom to funky jams from the cream of the crop at Radioactive, including Coda, Redbird, the Jewel School, TV Disko, and Groovin’ Pete. It’s free, and it starts at 8.00pm both nights.

1