October 2, 2017 | by  | in Mauri Ora |

Mauri Ora: Foreign Travel Adventures

Going overseas can be one of the most exciting times of your life. It is also expensive, and thinking about getting vaccines or spending money on insurance can seem out of reach — but I would really encourage you to just consider this as part of your trip’s costs. If you don’t, and are unlucky enough for something to go wrong (even if it’s just an untimely bout of the flu), your hard-earned holiday dollars could have been wasted on a trip that you simply can’t enjoy. So, if you are planning your next adventure overseas, here are some top tips to get the best from it:

• Book a travel appointment at Student Health — we have several GPs who have a special interest in travel medicine, and will be able to advise you about what vaccines you need, and also what first aid medicines it might be prudent to take with you. Ideally this should be at least a month before your travel — some vaccines take several weeks to reach their maximal effect, so you won’t reap the benefit if you come a week or so before you leave. There is a cost for this appointment and for the vaccines.
  • Make sure you know what vaccines you have had in the past so you don’t need to get any repeated. Full courses of hepatitis A and B, for example, should give you lifelong cover — whereas typhoid immunisation needs updating every three years.
  • Thoroughly plan out your itinerary. Different regions of a country will have different health issues, so if your plans change and you haven’t allowed for that, you could inadvertently put yourself at risk.
  • Be aware that some long-term medical conditions may be affected by travel or vaccinations. Your doctor can also provide you with a letter for customs, detailing what medicines you will need to carry with you on your trip.

If you would like to meet one of our travel doctors, call reception and ask for an appointment. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire prior to being seen, detailing where you are going and for how long. For more information visit www.safetravel.govt.nz.

Bon Voyage!

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this