New Executive for UniQ

UniQ, a representative group for VUW’s LGBTQIA+ community, has appointed a new Executive for 2018.

Erin Page, a fourth-year student majoring in German and Italian, and Grace Visser, a second-year majoring in linguistics, have been appointed as next year’s co-presidents. They “hope to continue making VUW a queer-inclusive place [by working] with the university at an institutional level, and by connecting with more queer students, staff, and allies.”

UniQ, which has been running since 1996, meets each Friday to offer a safe space for LGBTQIA+ students and their friends. Meetings alternate each week between being a forum for support/discussion for queer and questioning students, and hosting board game sessions.

UniQ also run movie nights on a monthly basis, organise events such as Pride Week throughout the year, and run a queer mentoring service which pairs queer students together in a buddy system.

Page and Visser were both involved in UniQ in 2017. Page was a Transgender Representative on the Executive, and Visser acted as a representative for the group, liaising on UniQ’s behalf on committees such as the Student Equity and Diversity Committee. As well as continuing the lunch spaces, both Page and Visser view the continuance of Gender Club, a sub-group of UniQ, as a main priority for 2018.

Gender Club meets fortnightly “to discuss and educate on issues relating to non-cisgender identities.”

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties