October 2, 2017 | by  | in One Ocean |

One Ocean

Symmetry

I came here on my parents’ prayers And thousands in aid for air fares To the land of condescending stares / As I hid beneath the arch of the tatau

I came here to watch the blood in Hau’ofa’s kava bowl Flow like oratory; swirl and roll Leap and rave without control / From the lines that are my veins

I came here to wear my skin And the scars of where my ancestors have been That toss, and turn and stir within / To remember their names

I came here to be the woman in Makini’s dreams Even as my bilum dress is tearing at the seams Snipped at by labels and a lack of financial means / To be the daughter my ancestors suffered for

I came here to burn with the flame Teaiwa lit The day I learned exactly where I fit Like signet: each fibre, every bit / To be, and keep on being

I came here with the courage my people bequeathed to me I grew into this soil like the roots of a tree I am still here

And

I

AM

FREE.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this