October 16, 2017 | by  | in One Ocean |

One Ocean

The Pasifika Students’ Council (PSC) is a representative group for Pasifika students here at VUW.

My journey through this academic year as the Public Relations/Events Officer has been one heck of a ride. I used to be that anti-social scholarship student from Samoa who for the first two years of university stuck with the same simple routine of going to classes and then straight home — not socialising or making an effort to participate in anything. In this role I’ve stepped way out of my comfort zone and become an executive member for PSC.

Being on the executive has definitely changed my life. Establishing connections with staff and being able to provide holistic support for our Pasifika students and making sure they’re voices are heard has been such a pleasure. Being able to work alongside an amazing executive, who I must say have outstanding leadership qualities, has been awesome. Creating lifelong friendships and forming a new love and appreciation for our Pasifika community is something I will cherish forever. I highly recommend that if you have a passion for Pasifika academic success and want to make a difference here at VUW, going for a role on the PSC Executive is an awesome platform for you to do so.

On behalf of the PSC Executive for 2017 we’d like to thank you for all the support and love you have shown us throughout this year. May God forever bless and guide you all throughout the rest of your journey here. While we sail our vaka throughout this university journey to achieve academic success, let us not forget to value and appreciate each other’s cultures — we are a family of diverse people connected by One Ocean. Let your voices be heard, change the game. ♥

To the new PSC Executive for 2018, it is only onwards and upwards from here. Lessgo.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future