October 9, 2017 | by  | in PGSA |

Postgrad Informer

The research journey can be a tumultuous one. As I was sitting alone on the couch for four and a half hours on election night, I wondered how many other postgrads were also sitting, laptops in hand, contemplating what the results would mean for their research.

Regardless of how you happen to feel about those four and a half hours (and the fact you will never get them back), I would encourage you to set aside your election fatigue and get involved in the student election season! Across the university, clubs and associations are preparing for the year ahead and holding elections and Annual General Meetings. This is a great time to consider your place in the university community, and whether you would like to get more involved.

The Postgraduate Students’ Association (PGSA) has just elected its 2018 Executive, and there is always room in our association for more keen people to get involved with our events, advocacy, and professional development opportunities. In addition to our fresh Executive, the PGSA also has a brand new Executive Administrator, Fran Denton. Fran is excited to meet you all, and will be in touch with all members soon about our 2018 calendar, and all of the opportunities we have coming up! Feel free to stop by to welcome Fran, and look out for her next email.

As well as being tumultuous, the graduate research journey can be isolating. Joining in on community events (and perhaps getting involved with your local students’ associations and clubs) can be a great way of maintaining balance and establishing your place within the university. Touch base with the PGSA today if you are interested in getting more involved!

1