October 2, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Te Ara Tauira

There is a whakatauki that says “Ka pū te ruha, ka hao te rangatahi.” As an old net withers, another is remade. This saying speaks to the regeneration of society; the significance of passing the mantle to the young. As rangatahi (most of us at least…) we are the future of our culture, and must bear the burdens and the hardships of our tīpuna.

Reducing the inequalities faced by rangatahi Māori must be a national imperative. In the ngāhere we understand that if the indigenous plant thrives, the whole forest thrives. What rights should a young Māori person have? And how can we sustainably support the future for Māori? This question is imperative not only to one’s sense of self, but to the collective building of Aotearoa as one well-functioning eco-system; a ngāhere, so to speak, that sustainably and successfully supports individuals to succeed.

Our current political climate is in a state of limbo. The Māori Party and Mana Party will not have any seats in parliament, with Labour winning all the Māori seats. The future of our government will soon be decided by Winston Peters and NZ First. This upcoming government will see the rise of many new Māori politicians, some of whom we may not be familiar with. Hei aha tērā, there is always mahi to be done by all.

Mā whero, mā pango, ka oti te mahi. While those at the top of parliament decide how our government will proceed in the future, as tauira we must decide how we will proceed. How will policy influence us, and how can we in turn change society? The net that is now being woven will one day grow old. Where in Te Ao Māori will we stand when it does?

1