October 9, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Te Ara Tauira

The event name Tatai Hono represents the ties that bind Māori together, and the strengthening of these ties through the practice and celebration of our culture and reo in all aspects of life. Tatai Hono is hosted by Ngā Taura Umanga — VUW Māori Commerce Students’ Association, and its purpose is to provoke, inspire, and create exposure to broader ways of thinking. This event is aimed at not only our tauira at VUW, but also alumni, business professionals, and the wider community.

Every year, the executive committee selects a different kaupapa. This year the theme was “Ka mua, ka muri,” a well-known whakatauki which translates to “walking into the future backwards.” As tauira Māori, we are all intrinsically linked to our whakapapa, our stories, our whanau, hapū, and iwi. This year’s theme aimed to explore the uniqueness of our backgrounds, and how they are an inherent part of our future success.

Our speakers were a diverse range of Māori operating in various industries. Te Miri Rangi, founder of Whakapapa Fridays, spoke to us about exploring traditional Māori philosophies in a modern context to enable Māori success on the world stage. Carl Ross, Chief Executive of Te Matatini, spoke to us about how kapa haka can be used as a vehicle for positive social change. Fiona Kupenga, Director of Te Amokura Productions, spoke to us about finding and producing stories that mean something, learning along the way, and how to juggle motherhood and the working world. Henare Johnson, Manager of Māori Projects at AirNZ, spoke to us about his upbringing and how to showcase Māori culture in a predominantly Pākehā environment.

Each year, Tatai Hono creates an environment for students and professionals to join together and celebrate the inherent cultural ties that we all share as Māori, and this year was no different.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this