October 9, 2017 | by  | in The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Our final column for Salient 2017 has got me thinking: what is UniQ’s queer agenda? Recently we updated our constitution and got new exec members, but what are we standing for? Why are we standing at all?

The majority of UniQ groups in the country are doing their damn best, but aren’t thriving in all the ways that they could. At UniQ Victoria, we’ve always taken this with a grain of salt: we’re students, we’re workers, we’re unwell, and yet still we find time to stand up and do this very hard, personal, and emotionally draining work.

I know there’s a lot of you out there who aren’t big fans of UniQ, for many different reasons. We’re predominantly white and able bodied. We’ve only just really started using tikanga in our practices. Statistically we should have 2000 students at our meetings or engaging with us online but often it’s more like 40, and that’s on us. Plus, we only have like five board games and playing the same ones week after week is too much (I do love Cluedo though).

I just want to acknowledge these things as the year ends and we look towards 2018. Maybe UniQ Victoria can’t ever represent all the queer, rainbow, and gender diverse students at this university, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want to try. If you have ideas or suggestions on how we can do better in our work, flick us an email at uniqvictoria@gmail.com over the summer break.

We will continue to do our very best with what we know, but without feedback and engagement we’re not able to get better. A big thank you to everyone we’ve engaged with this year —we do this for you and each other. We will continue to stand for you and for those who will join us when we’re both ready.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos