October 16, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voice of V-ISA

Hi and Bye

You’ve made it! You’ve survived the ups and downs of 2017! It’s been one of the worst and best ever. You will never want to relive those 3.00am moments during all-nighters, and if you never experience another 8.00am lecture you will die a happy chappy.

But despite all that, it hasn’t been all bad. You’ve met some irreplaceable, extraordinary people. They’ve come from all around the globe. Everyone chasing their own dreams, or chasing their parents’ dreams. Whatever their story, somehow they’ve all ended up here and so have you. Was it completely random? Was it fate? Somehow, life threw all of us together.

Everyone you’ve met is so different — so like you but so not. You’ve marvelled at these differences. There are things they have never even heard of that have been part of your life since forever, but then you’re as ignorant as a baby about things they’ve known all their lives. And the more you learn about them the more your view of the world changes. You may not have left Wellington but seeing it through their eyes makes every old experience new again.

And now they’ve become so much a part of your life that it will be unrecognisable when you have to let them go, back to wherever they called home before Wellington. You’d love to be a hoarder and keep them all here with you, but that’s not how this works and you knew from the start that saying “hi” would mean saying “bye” eventually.

So here’s to all international friends, buddies, and amigos! No words can describe how much richer you made our lives and you’ll always be a part of our memories of VUW. We don’t want to, but now we’re releasing you to go make your mark on the world!

10. International Queer in Review