February 26, 2018 | by  | in Arts Podcasts |

A Brief and Incomplete History of the Podcast

Kia ora and welcome to the podcast section! This is a space to chat about all things podcast related. This may include reviews, interviews with hosts, or any general discussion of this wonderful medium. If you love podcasts and have something to say about that then please do not hesitate to email us at podcasts@salient.org.nz. Contributors enable this section to cover a diverse range of topics, and better reflect the student voice at Vic.

As a young, angst-ridden pre-teen I remember recognising the term ‘podcast’ and having only a vague idea of what it might mean. I didn’t understand the point of it all, and based most of my opinion off an unsubstantiated feeling that podcasts were ‘nerdy’ and one of the dud features of my iPod. It was a metallic blue iPod shuffle. I was cool back then.

Fast forward a few years and here I am: someone who can no longer perform simple tasks without needing some people talking in their ear. “How did this all begin?”, you might ask. My love for podcasts began approximately three years ago, spawned by a fondness for the Bachelor franchise that was shared by no one I knew. I turned to podcasts to satiate my need for in-depth Bachelor-related discussion .

However, podcasts have been brilliant long before I have been capable of appreciating them. What once was considered a niche medium, valued merely as an extension of radio, has now become a force to be reckoned with. I present to you:

A Brief, Incomplete History of the Podcast

2004: Podcasting in its first form is developed. August Trometer and Ray Slakinski create iPodderX, the first easy to use podcast software.

2005: Apple launches iTunes 4.9 which allows users to download and subscribe to podcasts without additional software.

2006: The commercial potential of podcasts is becoming recognised. The second season of The Ricky Gervais Show, found on Audible, is the first major podcast to charge listeners for episodes.  

2011: The BBC observes that more than 8 million adults in the UK have downloaded a podcast. This was, at the time, higher than the number of people in the UK that had used Twitter.

2013: Apple reaches 1 billion podcast subscribers.

2014: Enter Serial: the true-crime murder mystery podcast that broke Apple records as the fastest podcast to reach 5 million downloads and streams. Serial pushed podcasts into the mainstream pop culture discourse.

2017: The podcast section of Salient is launched by Annelise Bos!