February 26, 2018 | by  | in Eye on Exec Politics |

Eye on Exec

The third Exec meeting of the year kicked into gear a little late because Beth, our Welfare Vice President, was in a meeting with UniQ.  There was a picture of a cat on the projector screen, which Connor, our Clubs and Activities officer, had put up. “We can take requests for different animals,” he said.

The Exec wrote down their Declarations of Interest on an A4 pad. The full list of their interests are publicly available.

Marlon gave his President’s Report.

Marlon went to the opening ceremony of Te Toki a Rata with Beth. He saw Jacinda there and she remembered him because she was his local MP. About the event, Beth commented: “loved it. Good tuatara”.

Marlon met with Lyndy Macintyre of the Living Wage Movement, and has made plans to start a Living Wage Club at Victoria.

Marlon met with Fletcher Boswell, President of the Victoria University Law Society, to discuss VUWLSS’s participation in Stress Free Study Week.

Marlon went to the police station with Ella, our Wellbeing and Sustainability officer, to discuss the safety of students during O-week. “It was weird,” said Marlon, “I’ve never been to the police station before”. They discussed setting up a “safe paths” map, with a suggested title of “Highway to Halls”. Tam, our Engagement Vice President, who was skyping in, said a resounding “no” over speakerphone, drawing a laugh from the committee. They also agreed to partner with the police in a consent campaign called “Don’t Guess the Yes”. “That’s a good campaign,” said Jack. “Students believe this is an issue,” said Marlon.

Marlon went to the Pacific Climate Change Conference. Highlights included meeting Sarah Thomson, the woman who took the government to court last year over climate change, and sitting next to people with fancy titles.

“Did I do anything else cool?” he asked Joseph, the Association Secretary. “You did lots of things,” Joseph replied.

Marlon went to the VUW foundation meeting. There was free ginger beer.

Beth presented her proposal that VUWSA submits on the Births, Deaths, Marriages, and Relationships Registration Bill. Connor asked, “are we allowed to look at the wording?” Beth said yes. VUWSA moved to make the submission.

Other motions passed include the motion to thank Bex, VUWSA’s receptionist of five years, who is leaving, and the motion to wish Simran, our Academic Vice President, a happy birthday.

In a controversial move, Marlon motioned to end Chat in the Hat. Chat in the Hat is VUWSA’s ‘fun’ end of meeting activity, where topics to discuss are placed in Marlon’s hat and picked at random. However, since Marlon no longer wears a hat, some felt like this activity is outdated. The motion was not passed after Connor voted against, and Geo, our Campaigns Officer, abstained. It was then agreed that going forward Connor would organise Chat in the Hat, as he actually wears a hat.