February 26, 2018 | by  | in Politics Splash |

Green Party Dissents Over Waka Jumping Bill

Max Tweedie, co-convenor of the Young Greens, has recently faced criticism for a post he made on a private Young Greens Facebook page which was subsequently leaked on Reddit. The post revealed that the Greens have to support the Waka Jumping Bill because they didn’t think to register opposition to the Bill during negotiations with Labour.

However, under the Confidence and Supply Agreement with Labour, Greens are not required to support the Bill. The Agreement states the Green Party is obligated to support: “The broad outline of the legislative programme, significant legislative, regulatory and policy changes, broad budget parameters, and process”.

Previously declining comment to national media, Tweedie has subsequently released a statement to Salient stating that: “transparency and honesty plays a vital role in politics… relaying that information [regarding Green’s reasons for supporting the Waka Jumping Bill] is not only part of my responsibility of ensuring caucus is accountable to the wider party, but simply the right thing to do”.

Julie Anne Genter has publicly spoken out against the Bill, stating that there has been internal dissension over the Bill. She has also criticised the caucus on the way it communicates with party members.

Former Green MPs Sue Bradford and Keith Locke have both spoken out against Green’s support of the Bill, citing that it will impede personal political integrity and noting that historically Greens have been against this type of bill.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos