February 26, 2018 | by  | in Mauri Ora Opinion |

Mauri Ora

Firstly, on behalf of the friendly, supportive team at Mauri Ora, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to Victoria (or welcome back, if you are a returning student)! The name Mauri Ora comes from the Maori term for wellbeing, and encompasses a holistic view of health – mental, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual.

We appreciate that the next few weeks will be a busy time as you endeavour to orientate yourself to university life and find your way round campus, and understand that meeting our health team may not be top of the list of priorities – but if I can urge you to enrol this week, or even this month, it will pay dividends!

Mauri Ora is a health, counselling, and well-being service, staffed with doctors, nurses, outreach workers, counsellors, health educators, and a fabulous support team. We operate from two sites at Victoria – the ground floor of the Student Union building at Kelburn, and at Rutherford House on the mezzanine floor, for those of you studying at Pipitea. We run clinics during usual business hours, and can provide “urgent” same day appointments as needed (accessed through our triage nurses on 463 5308).

We offer a wide range of services including vaccinations, general health checks, contraception (including emergency contraception), STI testing (which can often be done without a doctors examination), travel advice, counselling, and mental health support. We also run outreach clinics for Pasifika, Māori, gender diverse and international students. We work closely with other teams within the university including Student Finances, Disability Services, and Student Learning Support.

For the majority of students, enrolling at Mauri Ora will mean your health care and counselling needs while at university will be free of charge – you can enrol by filling in the form available from our reception or online from our webpage (see below). There are some exceptions to this, including international students who need to have medical insurance to get their health care funded for them. If you don’t enrol, but need our health care, there is a charge, so enrolling is definitely the best option!

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Nga mihi nui.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America