February 26, 2018 | by  | in Opinion PGSA |

PGSA: Postgrad Informer

I am feeling a little odd right now. For most people at Victoria, this time of year is a beginning. New courses, new friends, new tutors to get crushes on (shut up, it can happen), new ways to procrastinate doing what you actually came here for. And yet for me, it’s an end. Less than a week after you read this, I will (hopefully) hand in my last ever piece of coursework at Victoria University, six years to the day after I started. It feels a little surreal, like I am out of sync with the rest of the world.

But to be honest, this is what postgrad life is like all the time. In many cases there are no classes to attend, no periodic assignments, and no real contact with other groups of people. University ‘holidays’ become a joke, and trimesters and exam periods lose all meaning. As such, normal interactions start to go slightly out the window. Rather insidiously, your work can take over most of your time. This past year, I often turned up to the lab in the weekend to do some work in peace and quiet, and was quite vexed to find that four or five others had also turned up to do the same.

It’s important to remember that there are other enriching aspects to postgraduate life, which you should try and make the most of. Here at the PGSA, we do our best to provide some opportunities to do so. Whether you want to hear about people’s research from other disciplines (or present your own!), come to fun activities like picnics and quizzes, eat a whole lot of free pizza or just sit and talk quietly over a coffee, we provide the chances for you to do that. If you ever need a hand, just let us know and we are here to help. Your work is important – but so is living your life.

10. International Queer in Review