February 26, 2018 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Presidential Address

Kia ora e te whānau!

Ko Marlon Drake tōku ingoa. It’s ya boy, the VUWSA President for 2018. Whether you’re a first year or a returning student, welcome home. I remember my first week of uni. I didn’t attend any of the O’Week events, and didn’t really meet any new people. I went out a couple of times, but largely kept to myself and my friends from high school. I had a good time, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the new people, the new uni, and the new city. I wasn’t shy back home, and I’m not shy now, it was just a transition period. The reason I’m sharing this with you is because at the time I was really scared. I thought I’d be stuck in my little bubble forever.

Fast forward a few weeks and my bubble has popped. I made friends in my lectures, in my halls, and just around town, all because a couple of randoms in LAWS121 invited me out. The point is, O’Week is not the be-all and end-all. University is a journey with many twists and turns, and it’s never too late to try something new, in your first year, or any year. There are clubs to join, bars to go to, feeds to eat, and people to meet. I should also say there are lectures to attend, but you’ll have enough people telling you that any way.

Through all of it, remember that VUWSA (your friendly neighbourhood students’ association) is here for you the whole way through. Our door is always open (metaphorically always, technically 10am till 4pm), so pop in any time if you need a helping hand, or just want to yarn.

So here’s to 2018. Make the most of it, and I look forward to meeting ya!

10. International Queer in Review